Corfu Town charms visitors at first sight with the Venetian style that reminds very much of Italian towns, like Venice and Florence.in a beautiful location on an eastern promontory, dominated by two sturdy fortresses, its lovely pedestrian-only old town is packed with elegant Italianate architecture.
Old Fortress (Citadel)
Especially imposing when viewed from the sea, the magnificent Old Fortress lies on a small, rocky peninsula, immediately east of the old town. Built by the Venetians in 1546 on the site of an older castle, it is accessed off the Esplanade via a bridge that spans a moat, the famous contrafossa, measuring 15 meters deep and up to 40 meters wide. Inside the fortress is a small church, in the style of a Doric temple, built by the British in the 19th century. From the highest point, marked by a lighthouse, you have spectacular views west over town and east across the sea towards Albania.
Between the tightly packed buildings of the old town and the Old Fortress, the Esplanade (Spianada) is a vast green space and claims to be the second largest square in Europe. Corfu's main public gathering space, it is overlooked by the arcaded Liston, built by the French in the 19th-century, and home to a row of pricey cafés that are ideal for people-watching. Locals play cricket (a game passed down to them by the British) on the carefully tended lawns of the Esplanade, and there is also a bandstand where brass bands occasionally play.
An uphill climb past the open-air market selling seasonal fruit and vegetables brings you into the massive New Fortress, built in 1577 by the Venetians to protect the city against the Turks, making it only a little "newer" than the Old Fortress. Once inside, you are free to wander through the empty stone halls and passages and, best of all, climb to the top for amazing views over the terracotta rooftops of the old town and out to sea. The entrance ticket also covers a free drink at the small café.
The Church of Saints Jason and Sosipater
Close to Mon Repos, the tiny Church of Saints Jason and Sosipater is dedicated to two of St. Paul's disciples who brought Christianity to the island in AD 70. It is a typical example of 11th-century Byzantine architecture, based on a cross-in-square plan, and made of large blocks of stone, probably taken from nearby ancient buildings. Originally, the interior was entirely covered in frescoes. Unfortunately, these were whitewashed in 1820, but some fragments of the paintings remain. However, there is an impressive 18th-century iconostasis (the screen between the nave and the altar) and some beautiful religious icons.
The Royal Palace: Museum of Asian Art
At the north end of the Esplanade is the former Royal Palace, a Neoclassical mansion built in 1816 for the British Lord High Commissioner. Abandoned in 1864 when the British left the island, it now houses the Museum of Asian Art. This remarkable museum contains a superb collection of Chinese, Japanese, and Indian paintings, porcelains, and sculpture, dating from the Neolithic era through the 19th century. There's also a pleasant courtyard café with amazing views across the sea channel to Albania.
The Aqualand of Corfu: Corfu Aqualand is placed in the middle of the island, near Agios Ioannis village and can be reached following the main road to Glyfada. It is said to be the most amazing water park in Europe. It extends for 75,000 square metres and has free parking spaces for 600 cars. There are many water games there, such as the Multislide, the Black Hole, the Crazy River, the Lazy River, the Free Fall, the Kamikazes, the Deep Blue Kayak, the Family Rafting and lots of others. There are also many pools that count on 7 different kinds of waves.
For more details please refer to our office.